Connect all Pittsburgh community members, regardless of age, musical experience, or ability, to make and enjoy music every summer solstice, while also encouraging further participation in music making.
A city where all community members are enabled to make music and feel connected and supported in their musical engagement.
Make Music Day Pittsburgh
On June 21, 2020 Pittsburgh will host the sixth annual Make Music Pittsburgh in all of the inner city neighborhoods. Make Music Pittsburgh is a festival designed to showcase local musical talent and inspire others to play music.
Originally started in France in 1982, Pittsburgh will be one of over 700 cities playing music on June 21, 2020 as part of a global Make Music Day celebration. Whether it’s Hip-Hop in Lawrenceville, Gospel in Highland Park, Bluegrass in Squirrel Hill, Classical in the Hill District, or kids rocking out on buckets at The Children’s Museum, Make Music Pittsburgh is about enjoying music in its purest form with Pittsburgh flare.
Musicians sign up to play and businesses and homes sign up to host musicians outside of their places. Every musician has the power to choose where they are located and every location can match with their preferred style of music – just keep it outdoors so everyone can enjoy!
Performers of all ages, levels, and styles of music are welcome!!
Strategic Goals 2020-2023
- Encourage all Pittsburgh community members to make music
- Encourage community members to continue to make music beyond Make Music Day
- Increase the number of neighborhoods involved in MMDPGH
- Establish a fiscal sponsorship by 2023
- Increase community support through strategic partnerships
- Identify and construct messaging that articulates Make Music Pittsburgh’s unique value in the Pittsburgh arts ecosystem
- Connect community music makers to the resources available in their neighborhoods
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment that encourages all community members to make music